Skip to main content

LOSING YOUR SENSE OF SELF.



Has something so devastating happened to you or someone close to you and you saw how everything changed for them! Pain and trauma have a way of changing people and how they view life.
Some people get knocked down by the sudden life changing event and dust themselves up and fight through it.... Others have the hardest time getting past it but once they do,they come out a different person... others barely make it out!

Some people really start to find their identify in the pain and the hurt that they don't remember who they were before it all. The pain is their familiar place. As a means to suppress all the internal war they are experiencing, some turn to alcohol, drugs, cutting themselves, self medicating.... These are things we see around us all the time. We just don't really know how much someone is going through and as per usual we are always so quick to judge. You know I'm right!

This year alone,I feel like I have gotten the opportunity to meet pretty interesting people with different backgrounds and experiences who I have gained so much insight from. One of them being Mr. X. It has been a rough year for him. Imagine being in a relationship with someone for 4 years and right when you are ready to move in with them and spend the rest of your lives together, she passes away due to a misdiagnosis πŸ˜” The agony! The anger!

So many questions obviously went  through his mind at that point...

Where do I start? 
How am I supposed to cope?
How can life be so unfair? 
Why did it have to be her!? 
Is God really out there? Why would He allow something like this to happen?

I can only imagine how painful it must have been. I'm not going to even pretend I know, because I don't. All I can do is imagine and my heart feels so heavy at the thought of that.

He carries the pain like a pile of stones on his back. It keeps weighing him down and the only way to unburden himself is by the bottle, which he has with time become oh so familiar with. It has been bestowed with the responsibility of filling the void that has been left or atleast getting him to a point where he doesn't remember of it's existence. The experience has rendered a man in his youth somewhat unproductive. Complacency has become a way of life.

His close friends have been with him through it all. They have tried to talk to him, push him into looking for something to do... But to no avail. You do remember that an idle mind is the devil's workshop, right? All the free time is making more room for over thinking which is taking him deeper and deeper into this hole. Who will get him out!? Only he can do so. Question is, is he willing? Or has he centered his life around what has happened that he has lost his sense of self?

The pain is real because the love and affection you had for that person was real. Healing and dealing with the pain is obviously an individualized process and no one can ever dictate how long your healing process is going to take. How I cope with things will never be how you cope with the same situation. However, not making any strides towards healing will only lead to stagnation in life and no one would want that for you. Not even yourself.

If the person you have lost is out there in any form, what would they want you to do and achieve? Are you making them proud? 

I read somewhere that our scars are like scars on a small tree They will never fade away, but our tree will continue to grow. Our tree gets bigger and stronger, our branches stretch out,  roots grow deeper, and though the scars will always remain, overtime they become smaller in relation to ourselves. 

It is my prayer that anyone going through the loss of a loved one, and is overwhelmed with the pain, shall get to a point where the load won't be as heavy anymore. You shall be able to find the strength within yourself to move on and not be afraid to love again. The people you meet will not replace the one you have lost, and they shouldn't. You shall forever hold on to all the beautiful memories. But you have to remember that YOU ARE DESERVING OF HAPPINESS AND SELF FULFILLMENT! Surround yourself with people who love and support you. Allow yourself to properly grieve and do not feel ashamed to break down when you need to. A beautiful flower may last only a single season, but it was beautiful all the same, and we're better off for it. Make your life be the same way. Your loved one lives on in you. They helped create the person you are today, so turn that into something positive that he/she would be proud of. Do not allow yourself to stop living in the face of tragedy, but recognize your own mortality and live fully. I honestly do believe that they are in a better place as cliche as that may sound, they may have found peace that they may have not experienced in the world.


And as for family and friends of someone that is grieving, we have to create a solid support system and show them all the love in the world, they need it. I know life is fast pacing and we would expect that they would get over the loss equally as fast, however that may not be the case and you need to be more understanding. Do not rush them. Encourage them to talk. There is some peace that comes with expression of our feelings in an environment where we do not feel judged and are fully accepted. When you the load is too heavy for them kindly encourage them to see a therapist for grief counseling. It could be what saves them from themselves at that point.

Do not hesitate to leave words of encouragement for Mr. X and any other person going through such a hard time dealing with loss in the comment section. Thanks in advance. πŸ’š

Spread Love & Light,
NjeriπŸ’‹πŸ’‹









Comments

  1. I can't even begin to imagine or understand what Mr.X must be going through. But I can say I know abit about grief... abit about losing something we held so dear...we all do in our own versions. This life is strange. We don't pick our lots. We don't pick our struggles. They just find us... and what can we do but live through them..?
    My prayers are with you and everyone out there going through any form of grief. I hope that one day you will wake up to see that in spite of all the pain and brokenness... this world is still a beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With time you realize not only people who have passed away for through grief... Even people who lose a connection with someone they loved so much. We should be there for our friends and family even then because like I said, we have to show them there is still a life worth living!

      Thanks so much for the message to Mr. X. It is well received

      Delete
  2. My heartfelt condolences to Mr. X. I pray that God will strengthen him to cope with the big loss. Its not easy but with God nothing is impossible... at such low moments n in all seasons, let's seek Him...He heals. What a great piece of advice n encouragement! Thanks so much gal. It's always very important to stand with those among us who are grieving. Keep communicating with us it's very helpful πŸ‘

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen! I know God shall see him through this!

      Thanks so much for your consoling message Mum! He really appreciates.

      And thanks again for the compliment😊😊

      Delete
  3. This is so relatable... i love it... my heartfelt condolences goes to mr. X... i pray all gets better as much as it takes time....

    ReplyDelete
  4. My heart felt condolences to Mr.X....May he find peace that surpasses any human understanding...Thank you girl,this reminds anyone thats going through such times that they are not alone.You enlighten n console at the same time.You are truly a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jackie! From your mouth to God's ear's. I really hope he finds peace in time.😊

      Thanks again for the compliment 😘

      Delete
  5. Sometimes the loss of someone you hold so dear can make you question God's existence, but his grace and faithfulness is what helps us through such hard times. It's easy to ask why it didn't happen to someone else until you realise that other person also has people who love them deeply. Life is unfair and sometimes it's just easier to give up so i don't entirely blame Mr X. Personally what keeps me going is the thought that they are looking down at us and i want to be seen happy so that they don't blame themselves for leaving so soon because i know if it was up to them they would stay a little lit longer. May our loved ones rest in peace and i pray that Mr x finds the peace that surpasses all understanding and find something that will give him purpose and a reason to want to live

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! Our first instinct is always to blame God and ask why it had to happen to us. But when you really think about it, the pain you experienced you wouldn't wish it on anyone else.

      May our loved ones rest in peace. And girl I'm always here for you when being strong becomes to hard of a job. I know there are those days.

      Thanks so much for giving us another way to look at it. 😊

      Delete
  6. Heartfelt condolences to Mr.X May he find peace. Njeri you're a blessing to his life.He is not alone..
    It is well.

    Great piece of encouragement.Keep up girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nekapi! I am hoping the same for him too😊

      And thank you for the compliment 😘

      Delete
  7. Mr X had a rough year indeed.
    Great words you got there. Continue with those words of encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He really did. I hope the year to come shall be more favorable for him and us all.

      Thank you 😊

      Delete
  8. My condolences to Mr. X. I've had my share of grief and loss 4 years ago and this year once again and I realised just as you've said, we're all like trees. Our scars get slightly smaller but unfortunately once every now and then it hurts so much. However we have God and amazing people around us for support and they shouldn't be taken for granted. Loved the illustration of getting back up there and saying you had fun even though you got hurt. My greatest take away. Thank you lettie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry for your loss Mamu! I know it wasn't easy.. but I'm sure it brought out strength in you which you didn't know you had.

      I'm glad you liked the illustration. You are most welcome

      Delete
  9. Sometimes back, i read in a certain book:there's a perfecting and purifying effect in our suffering. We have to walk by faith and not by sight. It moves us out of our comfort zone and it drives us to God for comfort.
    May the Lord grant Mr. X grace and strength through these tough times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ingid. New perspective right there.

      Amen! God will definitely see him through

      Delete
    2. My heartfelt condolences to Mr. X may the Lord God in his might and splendor give him the grace sufficient enough to overcome and rise above his Heart ache.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

ENDLESS STRUGGLE TO LOVE SELF

As I cry in my bed at 3.36 am at the feeling of insufficience in every sense of the word... My question is how do I always end up here? In this same damn state? When will it ever get easier? Will I ever get to a point where I wholly love and accept myself in all my flaws and misgivings? Or is this just some hogwash we read in articles and blogs? Have you?  Being exactly a month away from turning 25 I always thought if all other things failed me .... I knew all the work I had put in on my journey to self love would have paid off by then. I'd be happier at least in that regard... But here I am crying my eyes out feeling like ugly Betty only with alot more chub to carry around. So how do people get out of this hole? Nobody should dare open their mouth and tell me to go work out, that I'll love myself then! What about all the scars I have? Will the gym remedy that too? What about my overly bruised ego from comments I've received about my weight, how exactly w

THE SOCIETAL CANCER: THE MICROWAVE MENTALITY

The millennial generation that we are in is the all-time consumer of the Microwave mentality. In 30 seconds we want to hear our microwaves beep with our Range Rovers outside waiting for us with little to no investment of any kind just because we are entitled little brats, hehe! The excitement before the unrealistic results that never come πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ Instant gratification is a drug that has been force fed to us through social media if you ask me. We have been made to believe that we need to have achieved amazing and grandeur things right this very minute, whether we have the means or we don't. It has to be achieved by any means necessary. We buy things we do not need and can't afford, with money we do not have all out to please the masses and prove our apparent social standing. Doing it for the Gram, huh?! Where is the lie? The need for instant gratification manifests itself in more ways than one. It is the child of impatience, birthed together with comparison a