Skip to main content

ENDLESS STRUGGLE TO LOVE SELF



As I cry in my bed at 3.36 am at the feeling of insufficience in every sense of the word... My question is how do I always end up here? In this same damn state? When will it ever get easier? Will I ever get to a point where I wholly love and accept myself in all my flaws and misgivings? Or is this just some hogwash we read in articles and blogs?
Have you?

 Being exactly a month away from turning 25 I always thought if all other things failed me .... I knew all the work I had put in on my journey to self love would have paid off by then. I'd be happier at least in that regard... But here I am crying my eyes out feeling like ugly Betty only with alot more chub to carry around.

So how do people get out of this hole? Nobody should dare open their mouth and tell me to go work out, that I'll love myself then! What about all the scars I have? Will the gym remedy that too? What about my overly bruised ego from comments I've received about my weight, how exactly will the gym fix that?

I know someone is sitting somewhere thinking I'm being overly dramatic or maybe this is such a small issue... But quite frankly it's not. I always felt like the default DUFF (Designated Ugly Fat Friend) who was the cock blocker for her friends at parties, hahaha! Or the camera person...maybe because I wasn't feeling particularly confident that day. One of my friends once asked me "kwani ni kila siku unaonanga haukai poa!?!" As she went on to take her selfies. I didn't say anything back but I'll never forget it. Not that she doesn't know that I struggle with Low Self Esteem, but she just doesn't understand it at times and it can be annoying to be around someone who is always so doubtful of themselves! I really don't blame her...

And that is one of least mean comments... I have heard everything from
 "Lynette unafaa kuwa ukikula rice na saucer ili uwache kuongeza kilo
"Ukivaa dresses zinakuslim...si kama jeans. You should wear dresses more"
 "You are sexy, but you could be sexier. It wouldn't hurt to work out" 
"Umeanza kuonona sana ..unapoteza shape."  And the list goes on and on.

Why are people so concerned with my body though?  I don't get it. I mean I have not expressed that I am uncomfortable with it so why the hell do you feel this need to keep chiming in? It is both hurtful and annoying! Some of this comments are made by people so close to me who I thought would take me as I am .. see beyond this vessel that carries an amazing soul full of so much love to share and so much energy. But no... clearly not everyone is able to see beyond the physical. Bummer!

Have I made tremendous strides to be at a better place with this self love...OH YES! 💯 Went from not being wholly comfortable with wearing any thing that showed my hands to walking around in a sleeveless top and leaving my jacket... (Small wins😎😎)
YAAAAAAAS!!!!💖💖

To wearing a body con top/dress that shows my love handles in all their glory...  And feeling really great about it!

But what about the emotional side of things... Why isn't that changing? What am I doing wrong? Am I surrounding myself with people who are bringing me down and taking me back to that God forsaken hole? Still trying to figure this out. But I think having been battling with this for so long has made me more sensitive to other people. I have always tried to be that person who truthfully assures others of how beautiful/handsome, lovely, appreciated and loved they are.. as well as giving random compliments to strangers just incase they are in need of a pick me up that day. This is because I know so well how it feels to be in a constant state of not feeling good enough and worthy that it would kill me to see someone go through the same.



As human beings I think sometimes we forget how bad we'd feel if someone was to keep pointing out our insecurities.. whether it's how short you are, or maybe you have acne or black spots on your face, whether you are experiencing hair loss or hair thinning at such a young age, maybe you are a stummerer or have lisp like Mike Tyson or any other insecurity one might have...  so why are we so fast to point out those of others?

I don't understand it either!
Low Self Esteem can affect any individual of any gender and age group, brought about by different circumstances and each of them dealing with it differently. It calls for a whole lot of sensitivity for others because we never really know what they are battling with and I'm sure we wouldn't want to add to the pile. It affects all aspects of our lives i.e. at school, at work, in our friendships, in our relationships... it is an endless struggle that is not carried with the weight it deserves and is often misunderstood.


The point of this post is not a cry for pity... This is an attempt to bring awareness to a topic not so often addressed in its rawness due to fear of vulnerability... but I'm here baring my soul in all it's nakedness as I plead that we become people who are more kind in both our actions and words. Let's not be so fixated on the physical and miss out on knowing amazing human beings. Let's endeavour to make the next person feel loved and appreciated because sometimes that's all they need.

As I continue on this journey, I want to tell you that you are nothing short of enough! You are deserving of all the love and affection in the world! You are capable; don't run away from a challenge because you feel you can't tackle it! Love yourself enough to be able to establish the kind of love you deserve!  You deserve to be loved and respected! Do not allow anyone to look down upon you or to treat you as a push over.. speak for yourself!


Spread Love and Kindness💋
Njeri.


Comments

  1. I know so many people relate to this...its so raw and real...thank you for sharing honey....all the best in your search for inner healing and peace...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was what I was hoping for! Thanks so much for your support!

      Delete
  2. Wow, this is so true and the funny thing is, this also happens to jamaas. Thanks so much and continue to give a voice to the voiceless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knoooow but guys will never really put it out there! I will do my best to... Thank you!!

      Delete
  3. I think you are one of the strongest people i know girl,i appreciate you in every way and you are very beautiful, let no one ever make you feel otherwise.....You are my younger sister n i learn so much from you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaaaaw this is soooo sweet siz! Thanks for always being there and I'm glad to be a positive influence in your Life

      Delete
  4. We all deserve to be surrounded by people who appreciate us for who we are and stop making excuses for those who don't. Very insightful piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know!!! People who don't appreciate us shouldn't even be in our life to begin with let alone making excuses for them

      Delete
  5. Great piece Njeri. You are beautiful.
    Keep doing your thing....

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have said it so well, a lesson for every man, at times we find ourselves on the receiving end and at times we are the ones spitting the hurtful words. Keep going gal your doing exceedingly well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I have had my days too... But we know better now so we do better!

      Delete
  7. Swiry, I am so sorry to read some of the nasty things that people tell you (apologies if I was ever one of those people). I look at you as a beautiful and confident young lady (I mean, look at your hair for instance). I love every inch of you inside out. I like how you mention that low self esteem affects all at different situations in life. I remember how bad my pimples were during adolescence I once had to make an announcement in class in form 1 telling everybody that I know my face is full of pimples, no need for you pointing it out to me because I was very aware of their presence. This made me try different things including aloe vera and mwarubaine (I hope they are not the same thing hihi) with your dear Auntie Alice but nothing helped. At the end of it all, I decided to love myself!Do you girl!Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think all those comments are what will make me grow into a much stronger person! And no you haven't made every now and then.

      I remember them... It was so ballsy of you to make that kind of announcement! Hahaha! Such a Judy move!

      But I'm so happy that you are in such a better place with your skin and yourself! So awesome!

      I love having fun with my hair! You should see what I have done with it now! I'll send pictures

      Delete
  8. What a great write up!!. The msg is so good and for sure what you have written touches most people. We're all struggling with one thing or the other in life, outer looks are important but you know what, who we are from inside is the most important thing e.g our character. You are a very beautiful young lady, a true African woman, a woman of integrity n great morals. Keep writing gal 👍👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaaaaw! Thanks so much mummy! Means alot coming from you!

      I hope that this will help people to be more open with themselves about things they are insecure about and take it upon themselves to get to a point they love themselves wholly and completely!❤

      Delete
  9. I have literally binged with the truth in this post to an utter reality stupor. The reality in this piece is so palpable to astronomical dimensions and of course with a pinch of brutal honesty in it that makes it even the more interesting.
    Utterly informative piece,. You, my dear, are going places.
    You go girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaaaaw thank you! I tried to make it as honest as possible!! Thanks so much for reading:)

      Delete
  10. Damn! I didn't realise you (and many other people) felt this way. I am ashamed that I may have taken this for granted or even contributed to body shaming unknowingly in one way or another. I hope this article makes someone else open their eyes, just as it did me. Lynette, I hope you know that we love, care and cherish you just the way you are. You are one of the most charismatic, sweet & kindest person I know. Thank you for this piece. I truly hope you get to inspire more people around the world with this kind of writing. XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol it displayed my identity as "unknown"

      Anyway mucho Love,
      XOXO
      Ken Ayugi

      Delete
    2. Hey Ken sexy (remember saving your contact like that on my phone!haha)

      I am glad you are are aware now. That was the whole point of the article and I'm happy it's meeting it's purpose.

      And thank you for your reassurance! You know how much I love you and the crew! Thanks for taking the time to read it!

      And I really really hope I do get to inspire people.... It would be amazing!

      Delete
  11. Such an insightful piece: it elucidates how we human beings grapple with our own insecurities.
    Great read as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for always taking the time to read my post and comment 😘

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. I'm glad you can relate and it's my hope you are working your way towards loving yourself and being in a better place emotionally!

      Delete
  13. I totally relate in so many ways and it's really hard to live your life worring about what people think about you it becomes really damaging. I'm so sorry that you had to go through such criticism. I've always admired your strength and character.
    Great great piece luv.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey girl!!

      I think there is something vital I've learnt this year is that you shouldn't ever buy into people's opinions! Just do you... Believe in you... Love you... Accept you! Anyone who is meant to be in your life will follow suit! The rest can go suck a thumb or something!

      And thank you so much for the compliment! Even the strong whiled have weaknesses however! We are all a work in progress

      Delete
  14. Lynette! I love you girl!
    Best read I've had at 3.46am, usually when I lose sleep and pick a book. I relate, I bet everyone does in their different ways and I want you to know that you're not alone in this. We are right here with you. ♡
    Xx.
    P.s I've subscribed, don't want to miss out on these wonderful reads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kioria I love you too Ma'!!!

      Thanks for reading and subscribing!!!!

      I'm sure glad we are in this together!! ❤

      Delete
  15. How careless we are with our words and actions sometimes. You are truly an amazing person Njeri. Thanks for highlighting this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes we forget the weight our words carry, which is totally unfortunate!

      Thanks hunny! You are an amazing and beautiful woman!❤

      Delete
  16. Sigh! This is an amazing article linet. The fact that you actually decided to share this with the world shows the progress in the self esteem you're talking about. You are beautiful inside and out. I realised most of the people that make negative comments to others are the ones with issues. Don't ever let it get to you. Most importantly, you are not alone in this. All the best in your endeavours. ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Mamuh!!

      And I agree with you... sometimes some comments are a reflection of the individuals insecurities!

      I'm learning how to not let them get to me!

      You are a beautiful woman as well!🌼

      Delete
    2. This is so raw and real! i have also struggled with low self-esteem at some point. Hopefully one day we will look back and laugh at all our PERCEIVED imperfections now. Great write-up luv!

      P.S that Mike Tyson meme?? too too funny!lol

      Delete
  17. This is sooo true I feel your pain dear but it gets better I promise you that continue with you self love discovery and realise you are so much more than what you think....... I love this article..... Keep it up....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

THE SOCIETAL CANCER: THE MICROWAVE MENTALITY

The millennial generation that we are in is the all-time consumer of the Microwave mentality. In 30 seconds we want to hear our microwaves beep with our Range Rovers outside waiting for us with little to no investment of any kind just because we are entitled little brats, hehe! The excitement before the unrealistic results that never come 😂😂😂 Instant gratification is a drug that has been force fed to us through social media if you ask me. We have been made to believe that we need to have achieved amazing and grandeur things right this very minute, whether we have the means or we don't. It has to be achieved by any means necessary. We buy things we do not need and can't afford, with money we do not have all out to please the masses and prove our apparent social standing. Doing it for the Gram, huh?! Where is the lie? The need for instant gratification manifests itself in more ways than one. It is the child of impatience, birthed together with comparison a

LOSING YOUR SENSE OF SELF.

Has something so devastating happened to you or someone close to you and you saw how everything changed for them! Pain and trauma have a way of changing people and how they view life. Some people get knocked down by the sudden life changing event and dust themselves up and fight through it.... Others have the hardest time getting past it but once they do,they come out a different person... others barely make it out! Some people really start to find their identify in the pain and the hurt that they don't remember who they were before it all. The pain is their familiar place. As a means to suppress all the internal war they are experiencing, some turn to alcohol, drugs, cutting themselves, self medicating.... These are things we see around us all the time. We just don't really know how much someone is going through and as per usual we are always so quick to judge. You know I'm right! This year alone,I feel like I have gotten the opportunity to meet pretty i