Skip to main content

ADVENTURES OF A CHEAPSKATE





In recent times I have realized I can be one hell of a cheapskate. I’m one of those people who will go to some interesting lengths for a great deal. No shame by the way! The kikuyu in me cannot, and I repeat cannot, let me spend more money than I need to. I will wake up in the wee hours of the morning to get the sale, panda a Safe boda motorbike to Kisumu for a deal, haha! I’m just being silly but I’m sure you get the drift.

But as I write this, my hunger for good deals almost got me conned. Heh! Heh! Heh!

Let me indulge you.

My colleague had recently discovered a Facebook page called Jumuia that had really great deals on electronics. She knew that I was planning on moving out soon so she had to put a sister on. šŸ’ŖšŸ’ŖšŸ’Ŗ. The Facebook page had a post that they would have a 7th anniversary sale soon so I was mad hyped.

Mimi nani… I put some money away looking forward for the sale.  Earlier today (1st July) they put up a post that they are selling a microwave and fridge for some throw away prices.
Was going for 9,000/-


I was not going to let this kind of deals pass me by. No siree!  šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚I decided to call the number indicated to ask a couple of questions just to get the jist and pick their minds abit about the products.

The mother tongue influence on this jamaa was mad thick, you shikanisha half the things zingine zinapita kupita. 


But I was so determined I was willing to decipher any language, or what sounded like an imitation, just to get the goods. 

Upon calling the sick bastard, first and foremost, he insists that payments need to be made before delivery and that there is no compromise. Aiii!!! (RING THE ALARM!!) If Jumia is a well-known online platform and they allow payment on delivery, why would this unknown one not agree? SUSPECT!
RED FLAG!!!!!


I was feeling uneasy about the whole thing so I asked where his physical location was in order to not only look at the items but to survey the business. He was sounding kidogo shifty and I wasn’t taking chances with my coin. When I tell you his mother tongue ilikuwa imeshika like superglue on anything, I’m not playing. He was saying Kaka House and all I could hear was Paka House.  Hehe! Anyway, he was so against the office visit and was intimating that the payment needs to be facilitated prior to the visit and then I can pick the item soon as I get there. Whaaaaaaaaat!!!!! I'm telling you i'm 5 minutes away and you are still insisting on the payment? You've got to be kidding me!



That’s a red flag after another red flag! But I had to see this for myself. I had left the office over lunch hour and headed towards "Paka" House on Maua Close to see the items. I kid you not, soon as we got off the lift on 6th floor we were welcomed with a JUMIA SIGN! Oh my God! This guy was playing us all along! Imagine if we had been foolish enough to send him the money before hand and not even bothered to go see the office just to feel comfortable?

Some of these online businesses are looking for people like you and I to take advantage of. Please be very careful. One of the team managers at Jumia told us that there had been quite a number of complaints with regards to this same fake page and that they have been looking for him. He was using the sale pictures on Jumia to lure in the clients, get their money and performs a disappearing act thereafter. He was quite the magician, if I might add. 

Please ensure you do your due diligence before engaging with this online businesses. Insist on paying on delivery

But please DO NOT stop looking for great deals, haha! And send them my way while you are at it. A sister has got to move and she's on a tight budget!šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚ 

The Adventures of the Cheapskate continue!!!

Spread Love & Light,
NjerišŸ’—



Comments

  1. Hahaha!! Ungetokwa just like that. Ebu I'll be more careful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha cheapskates tuko wengi... Lesson learnt

    ReplyDelete
  3. �������������� Lemmi laugh first. Thanx God he saved from the hands of a con, i know how tight is budget in this tough economy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow very informative and insightful šŸ™ŒšŸ™Œ

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahahaha nice one made my traffic move abit�� totally relate having been conned so many times Nairobbery is real! Creative use of words and very imaginative. Good work on the narrative.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yooo. This is funny as hell. I get it. Here is a tip when paying for good online insist on a paybill Or a till number never send money to a personal number. Playbill and till numbers have to be registered using actual business certificates and permits.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ������ this is a good one. Sorry about the almost-conned part �� lesson learnt! ����

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

ENDLESS STRUGGLE TO LOVE SELF

As I cry in my bed at 3.36 am at the feeling of insufficience in every sense of the word... My question is how do I always end up here? In this same damn state? When will it ever get easier? Will I ever get to a point where I wholly love and accept myself in all my flaws and misgivings? Or is this just some hogwash we read in articles and blogs? Have you?  Being exactly a month away from turning 25 I always thought if all other things failed me .... I knew all the work I had put in on my journey to self love would have paid off by then. I'd be happier at least in that regard... But here I am crying my eyes out feeling like ugly Betty only with alot more chub to carry around. So how do people get out of this hole? Nobody should dare open their mouth and tell me to go work out, that I'll love myself then! What about all the scars I have? Will the gym remedy that too? What about my overly bruised ego from comments I've received about my weight, how exactly w

THE SOCIETAL CANCER: THE MICROWAVE MENTALITY

The millennial generation that we are in is the all-time consumer of the Microwave mentality. In 30 seconds we want to hear our microwaves beep with our Range Rovers outside waiting for us with little to no investment of any kind just because we are entitled little brats, hehe! The excitement before the unrealistic results that never come šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚ Instant gratification is a drug that has been force fed to us through social media if you ask me. We have been made to believe that we need to have achieved amazing and grandeur things right this very minute, whether we have the means or we don't. It has to be achieved by any means necessary. We buy things we do not need and can't afford, with money we do not have all out to please the masses and prove our apparent social standing. Doing it for the Gram, huh?! Where is the lie? The need for instant gratification manifests itself in more ways than one. It is the child of impatience, birthed together with comparison a

LOSING YOUR SENSE OF SELF.

Has something so devastating happened to you or someone close to you and you saw how everything changed for them! Pain and trauma have a way of changing people and how they view life. Some people get knocked down by the sudden life changing event and dust themselves up and fight through it.... Others have the hardest time getting past it but once they do,they come out a different person... others barely make it out! Some people really start to find their identify in the pain and the hurt that they don't remember who they were before it all. The pain is their familiar place. As a means to suppress all the internal war they are experiencing, some turn to alcohol, drugs, cutting themselves, self medicating.... These are things we see around us all the time. We just don't really know how much someone is going through and as per usual we are always so quick to judge. You know I'm right! This year alone,I feel like I have gotten the opportunity to meet pretty i