Skip to main content

THE PROCESS



Hello Hello..(insert coasterian accent, hehe! Mpaka the hand movement that goes with it. I know a mental pic just registered! Objective AchievedπŸ˜‹)



Hope I had you at hello tooπŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰
So, how you been? Tell me life is good with a little bumps on the road but you've got this? And if not, are you seeking help? Had you achieved your goals for the 3rd quarter of the year? Have you set other goals for the last quarter? What mental space are you in this last quarter? (The comment section is there for all the responses you want to give... I'd be happy to read your responses)

I'll start us off, just to get you a little comfy.

Q: How you been?
A: I've been quite fine to be honest. Distracted but good.

Q: Tell me life is good with a little bumps on the road but you've got this? And if not, are you seeking help?
A: What is life without speed bumps? So, despite the curve balls, I got a little bruised on the journey but I KNOW I've got this.

Q: Had you achieved your goals for the 3rd quarter of the year?
A: To be honest not all of them. But I finally moved out of my parent's house and I dare say, that has been the 2nd best thing to happen to me this year after Admission to the Bar. I am over the moon!


This is definitely my happy dance, cos hot damn, I'm as thrilled as M.J

Q: Have you set other goals for the last quarter?

Mmmh, like 2, lol!*hides face* but I wanna take this time to work on the ones I didn't achieve in the course of the year. I didn't see a need to add so many on to a list that wasn't fully completed. 

Q:  What mental space are you in this last quarter? 

A: I'd say a great space. But it's taking a minute to adjust to the new responsibilities and transitioning to being fully independent and the freedom.Yes, you read right, the freedom was what I was seeking and yearning for, but there is a certain anxiety attached to it for some reason. I feel like its there to test you somehow. To whom much is given, much is required... so am I wrong to think there is a test attached low-key?

Even if you don't jot down your answers to the questions in the comments section, I humbly request you answer them for yourself as a self assessment tool. A little (self) accountability goes a long way.


Anywho, I know you are wondering at what point I'll get to the point of the blog post. Am I right, or am I right?😏

Right?
Haya Haya, tuliza boli! (I have been waiting with baited breath to use this swahili words I can't use in kawa conversations, hehe!)

The process, as the post is titled, is of the roller coaster that has been moving out. 


I'll sum it up:


I WASN'T READY!!!!πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚



I always thought house hunting would be such a breeze as long as you knew the area you want to stay (can you smell the ignorance?), the only issue would be getting the items and arranging them...smh!

Lo and behold... it was not a joke. If God didn't send some very amazing humans my way I am sure it would have taken longer than it did.(Thanks guysπŸ’–) Hiyo Waiyaki Way ingeniita jina ju ya ile kuzurura I would have needed to do. Weh!


Sometimes when you fall in love with the idea of things as opposed to really understanding what is really required of you to accomplish them... a rude awakening awaits. 


I could not wait to have a place I call my own, but I swear I did not fully comprehend how costly it would be. My God! The rent, deposit, buying of items for the house, shopping for food, electricity, water, garbage, curtains, cleaning equipment,mattress, bed, carpet ... the list goes on and on. And don't forget you still have to have enough for transport to work as well as vegetable purchases and other items plus savings. 


This experience has taught me the real value of money. I know, I know, I am a late bloomer, and I am not ashamed to admit it. But better late than never, right? 

Honestly, never having lived by myself (no hostel or anything during university days), did not put me in positions where I needed to really budget the money I was given to meet all my needs so as to avoid lacking important things, i.e. food. All I needed to care about was fare and lunch, bas! And I was good to go.


My people if you are planning on moving out, please save intentionally for it and slowly buy items as you await to move.  

Because of my kiherehere, I moved sooner than I needed to thus I did not manage to buy some things that I should have prioritized and properly budgeted for e.g. bed. It should have been on the top 5 list, but not for this dreamer. I had set my mind on moving at a certain time and that had to happen come what may. So, its safe to say I have enough room to host a football match, but I have filled it with love. Does that count? ha-ha! If it does, then I'm doing great πŸ’ͺ

As a disclaimer, I am not writing from a point of regret, but from a point of acknowledging I could have done better planning and taken my time.This is a product of Self assessment and Accountability!

(Told y'all they come in handy. I got you😎)

On top of all that... the paranoia is real guys. TOO REAL! Every sound is suspect.. I activate ninja positionπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚



πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
I'm just being silly, but on the real uwoga is real. Sleeping the first couple of days was what we commonly refer to as a rumor,ha-ha! It took a while to get to normal sleeping patterns, but I'm finally comfortable but I have to close all the doors at all times. No shame!  

All in all, this has been a great experience to say the least. It's a teacher and an eye opener. Learning to prioritize is a newly acquired skill set that is mad vital during this process.

To anyone planning on moving out and starting life on their own, sweetie:
  • Please take your time. You'll be better for it;
  • Do your research well on the area you wanna live so that you know estimated rent rate, research on the prices of household items in order to have a clear savings goal;
  • Do not do it because everyone is doing it (you'll be paying the bills solo);
  • Ask for help because you cannot do everything by yourself, ask your folks and peers who have moved out for guidance and last but not least: 
  • ENJOY THE JOURNEY
I wanna give a huge shout out to everyone who has made this goal a reality for me. Your support, love and assistance is appreciated fully. Love each and everyone of you.

If you have any funny "moving out" stories do not hesitate to write it in the comments section. Lets laugh at our struggles. What else could we possibly do?πŸ˜‚

Na hizo house warming gifts zianze kukuja sasa... haha!



Spread Love and Light,
Njeri the DreamerπŸ’‹















Comments

  1. Super proud of you hun. You did good. My moving out story is worse. I call it moving out because I was staying alone but my sister got a job in Nai and my place became our placeπŸ™„. Don't get me wrong, I love my sister, but she was driving me crazy dictating rules just because she was older. One day I just decided next Month I am out of this place. Searched for a one bedroom and moved with just my clothes. I didn't want my family thinking I'm evil for moving with all my stuff. I was fed up though, and decided starting a fresh was better than living in this hell. So yeah, got a place bought the basic needs and started life. Me having my own space was better than having all the material things. Eventually you end up buying all the things you need. It all worked out and I'm glad it did for you too. Ps my siz and I are now the best of friends. The power of personal space

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wah! Personal space is so important. I love that you chose your peace over material possessions.

      I am so happy for you

      Delete
  2. Woow... This was the long awaited real life experience. Happy for you that you finally did it swiry. Hoping to come for house warming. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you wrote your name. :(

      All in all... thank you

      Delete
  3. Congrats.I disagree on the 'late-bloomer'.At all times just remember you are where you need to be in life.This is the right moment for you as any other would not have been, and I am glad it came to fruition.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations firstly. You won't regret it!! Mimiiiiii, just picture, nilihama kwa piki piki from my sisters. And just to give you an idea of how many items I had to put in my 1 bedroom (matchbox) in Uthiru the pikipiki did 3 trips ONLY. And FYI ninja mode was always on form me juu ya the area i lived had tooooo many "sober youth" Anyways, good luck to you too!! House warming sasa juu kuna space ya football team??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heeeh! The struggle was real sio?

      But i'm sure now you are used to the place you are at.

      Btw ninja mode is a real thing... wacha hivyo i'm down playing it! Hahaha

      Thanks for the support love!

      Delete
  5. Am happy for you dear I can remember the hustle but once you have moved, you won't want to go back. House warming lazima so that we can cook those kuku's again😘

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! Hizo kuku zilikuwa tamu kuruka! House warming is a must! When the time is right!
      ]

      Delete
  6. Living alone for the first time!!! Trust me I can relate on the closing all doors at all times part. Mimi hadi all WINDOWS no shame ... wasn't about to let them geckos in (well apart from times I needed to air the house).
    Anyways, all the best love. You Can Do This ❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! Girl! I dont open most windows either.. lol! Thanks for standing by me and blessing me with you know what. You have no idea how much i appreciate all that you have done for me. May you never lack. I love you!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

ENDLESS STRUGGLE TO LOVE SELF

As I cry in my bed at 3.36 am at the feeling of insufficience in every sense of the word... My question is how do I always end up here? In this same damn state? When will it ever get easier? Will I ever get to a point where I wholly love and accept myself in all my flaws and misgivings? Or is this just some hogwash we read in articles and blogs? Have you?  Being exactly a month away from turning 25 I always thought if all other things failed me .... I knew all the work I had put in on my journey to self love would have paid off by then. I'd be happier at least in that regard... But here I am crying my eyes out feeling like ugly Betty only with alot more chub to carry around. So how do people get out of this hole? Nobody should dare open their mouth and tell me to go work out, that I'll love myself then! What about all the scars I have? Will the gym remedy that too? What about my overly bruised ego from comments I've received about my weight, how exactly w

THE SOCIETAL CANCER: THE MICROWAVE MENTALITY

The millennial generation that we are in is the all-time consumer of the Microwave mentality. In 30 seconds we want to hear our microwaves beep with our Range Rovers outside waiting for us with little to no investment of any kind just because we are entitled little brats, hehe! The excitement before the unrealistic results that never come πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ Instant gratification is a drug that has been force fed to us through social media if you ask me. We have been made to believe that we need to have achieved amazing and grandeur things right this very minute, whether we have the means or we don't. It has to be achieved by any means necessary. We buy things we do not need and can't afford, with money we do not have all out to please the masses and prove our apparent social standing. Doing it for the Gram, huh?! Where is the lie? The need for instant gratification manifests itself in more ways than one. It is the child of impatience, birthed together with comparison a

LOSING YOUR SENSE OF SELF.

Has something so devastating happened to you or someone close to you and you saw how everything changed for them! Pain and trauma have a way of changing people and how they view life. Some people get knocked down by the sudden life changing event and dust themselves up and fight through it.... Others have the hardest time getting past it but once they do,they come out a different person... others barely make it out! Some people really start to find their identify in the pain and the hurt that they don't remember who they were before it all. The pain is their familiar place. As a means to suppress all the internal war they are experiencing, some turn to alcohol, drugs, cutting themselves, self medicating.... These are things we see around us all the time. We just don't really know how much someone is going through and as per usual we are always so quick to judge. You know I'm right! This year alone,I feel like I have gotten the opportunity to meet pretty i