Skip to main content

WHAT IS YOUR BUSINESS FOUNDED ON?

Well hello there!

The month with what seems like a 100 days is about to end. Can I get a Hallelujah up in here!

Once you peep your bank account 😂😂😂


Lucky you! Those of us who are out here unemployed have a whole other story to tell. Due to ukame mfukoni pandemic, I have been trying to come up with business ideas ili umaskini isianze kunizoea. It hasn't been easy. But I stumbled upon an amazing video that just shed so much light on what values i'd want my business to have once I start.

There is a series by the name Chef's Table. It talks about the lives of well renowned chefs around the world and their journey to where they are now in their careers. One of them happened to get my attention. It was about a lady by the name Niki Nakayama owner of n/naka based in LA. Having been brought up in a family where women aren't expected to reach high levels of achievement in their careers, she felt like she had a lot to prove to her family and the world at large. Her passion for food being of utmost priority to her, she has endeavored to make a name for herself in the food industry in Los Angeles by putting a more personal approach to her business.

As a woman in a male dominated field in the Japanese Culture, she had to work extra hard to be given an opportunity to work in one of the Japanese themed restaurants. Fortunately, her first job opened her eyes to a world of new culinary technique and most importantly customer relations most of which she now applies at n/naka. The owner of the restaurant made her understand the responsibility she owes to her customers. In terms of both the quality of food and service. The minute a customer walks in the door, if he/she is a returning client the head chef/ owner already knows what they like and will serve them as they sit down. That's how much interest he has in understanding and pleasing his clientele. (How amazing is that!!!!!)

She went ahead to open her restaurant there after. As a means to avoid the prejudices that came with being a female chef in her culture, she built a closed kitchen to allow people to only focus on the food served as opposed to who made it. She keeps binders with information of everyone who has ever eaten at her kitchen on what they ate, drank and gravitated towards. She makes it her personal duty to never cook the same meal at the restaurant twice! She wants to make the experience worth it for you by ensuring you enjoy all that her restaurant has to offer. I can only imagine how much pressure that may be. I think the minute you dedicate yourself to something you love and put as much heart as you can into it, going the extra mile will not only be a learning experience for you but a source of self fulfillment.

After the video, I wrote down a couple of questions that I am hoping will be my guide and may help you gauge yourself one way or the other:

  • What values is your business based on? Are you fulfilling them?
  • Do you feel like you challenge yourself on a day to day at your place of work? 
  • How is your brand any different from the rest? What is the "IT" factor?
  • Are you happy at your place of work or doing the business you are doing?
  • Do you feel like you put your heart and soul in your work ? If no, what is stopping you?
  • Would you honestly be a returning customer to your business, if you were a customer, based on your customer service and service delivery? if no, why aren't you changing the things that need adjustment?
  • Does your personality and heart shine through the work you do?
This are questions we should be brutally honest with ourselves when answering. Only then will we create an environment for ourselves to not only grow individually but also improve our businesses.

May we do everything with:
    • Focus
    • Heart
    • Gratitude
    • Love
    • Care
    • Purpose
    • Intention; and
    • Faith.


Spread Love & Light
Njeri💋

Comments

  1. This is what we call an eagle's push, excellently said dear. I am encouraged.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see why you call it 'wisdom nugget'
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I'mma take that as a compliment! Thank you!

      Delete
  3. Hahaha girrrrrllll I always love your gifs!! I think it's really critical that we think about these things even as we endeavour to build our legacies. I love the last part... Especially purpose and faith.
    Awesome read honey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those gifs are a major key! Hahaha! Thanks boo!

      I wanted them to be thought provoking. Glad they are meeting their purpose!

      Delete
  4. Sorry took me long to read ...but the content is exactly what I needed...thank you for writing this. 🤗😊

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry took me long to read ...but the content is exactly what I needed...thank you for writing this. 🤗😊

    ReplyDelete
  6. " Would you be a returning customer to you business, if you were a customer....?"
    That's is deep. A truly poignant guide when a running a business.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This has inspired me. Such lovely message that speaks direct to the soul.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

ENDLESS STRUGGLE TO LOVE SELF

As I cry in my bed at 3.36 am at the feeling of insufficience in every sense of the word... My question is how do I always end up here? In this same damn state? When will it ever get easier? Will I ever get to a point where I wholly love and accept myself in all my flaws and misgivings? Or is this just some hogwash we read in articles and blogs? Have you?  Being exactly a month away from turning 25 I always thought if all other things failed me .... I knew all the work I had put in on my journey to self love would have paid off by then. I'd be happier at least in that regard... But here I am crying my eyes out feeling like ugly Betty only with alot more chub to carry around. So how do people get out of this hole? Nobody should dare open their mouth and tell me to go work out, that I'll love myself then! What about all the scars I have? Will the gym remedy that too? What about my overly bruised ego from comments I've received about my weight, how exactly w

THE SOCIETAL CANCER: THE MICROWAVE MENTALITY

The millennial generation that we are in is the all-time consumer of the Microwave mentality. In 30 seconds we want to hear our microwaves beep with our Range Rovers outside waiting for us with little to no investment of any kind just because we are entitled little brats, hehe! The excitement before the unrealistic results that never come 😂😂😂 Instant gratification is a drug that has been force fed to us through social media if you ask me. We have been made to believe that we need to have achieved amazing and grandeur things right this very minute, whether we have the means or we don't. It has to be achieved by any means necessary. We buy things we do not need and can't afford, with money we do not have all out to please the masses and prove our apparent social standing. Doing it for the Gram, huh?! Where is the lie? The need for instant gratification manifests itself in more ways than one. It is the child of impatience, birthed together with comparison a

LOSING YOUR SENSE OF SELF.

Has something so devastating happened to you or someone close to you and you saw how everything changed for them! Pain and trauma have a way of changing people and how they view life. Some people get knocked down by the sudden life changing event and dust themselves up and fight through it.... Others have the hardest time getting past it but once they do,they come out a different person... others barely make it out! Some people really start to find their identify in the pain and the hurt that they don't remember who they were before it all. The pain is their familiar place. As a means to suppress all the internal war they are experiencing, some turn to alcohol, drugs, cutting themselves, self medicating.... These are things we see around us all the time. We just don't really know how much someone is going through and as per usual we are always so quick to judge. You know I'm right! This year alone,I feel like I have gotten the opportunity to meet pretty i